Pages

Monday, August 6, 2018

Fishin in Aitutaki

2018 Gary Parlour Cook Islands Fishing Competition


Over the holiday’s my family and I went to Aitutaki for a Fishing Competition.

Aitutaki is one of the Cook Islands and it only take 20mins to drive right around the Island. It has it’s own lagoon and lots of small motu [islands]

It is wintertime at the moment. But not like here. It was a freezing 22 degrees at 530am most mornings. I know this because I was up at 5am most mornings to go fishing! By 830 is was 25 degrees and it kept climbing. The hottest day out on the lagoon was 30degrees.

Griffin thought it was freezing and had a heavy sweatshirt by his side or on sometime. He was crazy. Me Daithi Mum and Dad was always in our swimming togs ready for fun.

While we were there we went to Heaven!! I am not lying its true. But that’s another story.

My Pa, Dad’s dad has sponsored a Fishing competition for the past 22 years. This year was the 22nd Competition. One of the original rules of the competition is that is must be between Rarotonga and Aitutaki.

Gran and Pa Parlour provide fishing rods and reels as well as money for prizes. Oh and this stuff called Captain Morgan Rum! Mum said its silly water and makes you sick. The biggest money prize is $1000.00 for a Wahoo/ Para over 35kg. It has not been won yet! I can’t win this because I am not Rarotongan or Aitutaki. But I want to live in Aitutaki now so I might be.

The comp is two days of fishing from 6am to 430pm. Its starts with breakfast at 5am and ends late with more food.

I got a huge surprise on the first day and the skipper said I can go and fish with them. Mum quicky registered me and I was off with Dad and skipper Apii on his boat J&R. Wow what a day. Dad got a 18kg Wahoo and 6kg Tuna I caught a 5 kg Yellowfin Tuna. We only fished the one day.

The weather was great but the waves were crashing and hitting the boat it was wild. Dont tell Mum! I didn’t get sick well just a little but. But I didn’t spew.

I am hooked on game fishing in Aitutaki. I want to get a game boat. We are going to take over the competition for Gran and Pa and my Dad and I are going to have a Junior Fishing Prize. Next year it is Rarotonga and I want to fish again.

I loved it. It was a good family holiday. I wish all my friends can come too.


Apii and Me
Family Time
Oscar.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Oscar, this is such a lovely piece of writing about your wonderful holiday in Aitutaki. I really loved reading it and your photos really show us what a great time you and your family had over there. Why don't you ask Mrs Davan to help you format your post, so the writing does not go across the page and let me know how you get on. Great work Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog post. the coldest place I've ever been is Kaitaia weirdly. keep up the great work

    bailey

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment.