Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

fishing



3 years ago, 2016, I started surf casting with my dad. For any that don’t know, surfcasting is fishing with a rod. Real mans fishing hehe. Dad loves fishing and even holds a NZ Record for the heaviest Stingray, 51kg. Back then my brother Daithi and I had just learnt how to bait a hook, put a rod holder in the sand and get the hook out of the fish. We did not cast my dad did all the casting and the rod setting up. Now we do it all.
 
There are a few rules that we follow as a whanau. We each get our own gear ready. One packs the lunch [very important] and we always have minties! One helps Dad get the gear ready and we always have a hot milo for the drive up the beach. At the end of the day we have to clean all the gear and make sure the Truck is cleaned too. If we have a fish on it is our responsibility to reel it in! Our rod our fish our mahi.
I Like fishing because we always catch fish and give alot of it away. We only keep enough for our dinner for a couple of nights. Its good to share. The only thing we dont share are our secret fishing spots. We do most of our fishing on the mighty 90 Mile Beach Far North New Zealand. Te Onero-a-tahi.

Roll on one year 2017 I was on East beach sitting in the truck when my dad yelled ‘oscar OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR’ I ran as fast as I could. I needed my dad to get the rod out of the rod holder. 20 minutes later my arm felt like they were going to fall off. Then my dad said ‘it's a stingray’ then ‘its a shark’ then he could see a yellow tail and said ‘it’s a kingfish’. Its a freakin beast a record fish.
It was a 18.71kg Yellow Tail Kingfish. I was knackered by the time I got it in. My arms were sore, my 

back was sore, my everything was sore but I will soooooo happy.
It was a really cold windy day and I was freezing but I wasnt going to let it our of my sight.
It was the start of a new passion for fishing. My brother and I have lots more stories to tell about fishing and this is a good place to start..
I hope you like my story and I will write again soon about our fishing adventures.
Tight lines and fishing hookup your friend Oscar..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment.